This workshop is designed for participants who have some experience in working with draft horses and would like to learn methods and skills so they can use their horse(s) to grow and harvest hay and other on farm feed crops. Walt and Kris, of Ruby and Amber’s Organic Oasis, a certified organic and biodynamic farm, personally conduct the workshop. We produce most of our hay, grain, and feed crops on our 70 acre farm using our draft horses and restored farm equipment, so we are able to offer a diverse experience with a wide variety of equipment and horses.
The workshop is limited to 6 hands on participants to ensure plenty of hands on learning.
• Safety tips for working around horses and equipment
• Harnessing, harness adjustment, and hitching procedures to insure proper angle of draft for different implements used.
• Set up, repair, and adjustment of the International No. 7 and
• No. 9 horse drawn mowers for maximum efficiency and ease of draft.
• Use and adjustment of the hay rake, tedder, and baler to the field conditions at hand.
• Participants will cut and rake hay fields with horses.
• Baling by demonstration. Ground drive baler discussion/demonstration.
• Discussion and demonstration, where appropriate, of other farm feed crops, including potatoes, squash, grains, and oat hay.
There are a limited number of observer slots available at each workshop. Observers are allowed to observe, and ask questions at the workshop, but are not allowed direct participation with the animals or equipment.
The workshop price is 250.00 per person.
For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.